Sunday, September 30, 2012

Late Night Movie Watching

Watched Tormented last night, a British Horror flick. It was okay an interesting story line that questions reality. It's about a head girl that, well in this case that either snaps and kills all her friends or sees a ghost kill all her friends. It was very straight forward, so my thought is that the director was doing this as a second or third film, still getting their wings. While the writing was intriguing, the acting was a little below in some cases. The graphics was fun to watch and they did take-aways for the more violent scenes. Example of that is when this girl gets her hands cut off, the audience only sees the end result and gets to hear as the paper cutting comes down on her wrist, but the visual isn't there, we have darkness briefly enough.

This is going to be a good month for horror, I mean when is it not. October is my favorite month purely for that. I love horror and every aspect that has come with it. The costumes, make-up, and haunts, the screaming, it's all amazing. This will make me expanding my visual horizon a little harder to muster though, I love horror and it being pushed in my face on every movie channel.

Luckily I have to watch a film for my portfolio, for getting into the "film school". The list is pretty cool, some of them I have heard of with very few I haven't. The list is as following:

  • Orson Welles's Citizen Kane
  • Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon
  • Alfred Hitchcock's  Rear Window
  • Vittoria's DeSica's The Bicycle Thief (spelled wrong on the sheet)
  • Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility
  • Spike Lee's Crooklyn
  • Wayne Wang's The Joy Luck Club
  • Francois Truffaut's The Four Hundred Blows
  • John Sayles's Brother From Another Planet
  • Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove
  • Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal
  • Fritz Lang's Metropolis 
  • Woody Allen's Annie Hall
  • Julie Dash's Daughters of the Dust
  • Majid Majidi's Children of Heaven
So I was thinking that I wanted to watch and write about Alfred Hitchcock since he is closes to my favorite genre. But if I want to get a majority of this done over the weekend I might have to choose from John Sayles or Fritz Lang. I'm learning towards Fritz Lang because Metropolis sounds like it could be more fun to write about, though  Brother From Another Planet is a comedy and I like comedies, actually it seems I seldom not like genres. As long as the genre is presented properly then its good to watch. I checked though my movies thinking that my husband owned Dr. Strangelove but I didn't find it, though that might be because my father is borrowing almost all my movies. 

I was hoping to see something classically horror on that list, but alas my genre is less revered than most. It would have been great to see Night of the Living Dead on that list, that would be the film that I took. I would explain how it was a political satire to really get under the finger of the government without forcing their hand. It was to show that the strongest most eligible person to run things was the black lead and how the zombies or ghouls, which is what Romero wanted to call them was a way of showing how our country is corrupted. So I would have lots to say about that particular film, which was on at 3 in the morning last night/this morning. 

I must do what is required of me in order to see my passion through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment